Monday, August 11, 2014

Outlander Excitement

Did you watch the Outlander premier on Saturday?
I did! It was actually my second time watching the episode as I'd cracked and watched it on-demand earlier in the week.

My mother-in-law introduced the books to be back in 2002 or so. She told me it was about time travel, but that first one is a bodice ripper in my opinion. The "romance novel" aspects do get toned down in the later books.

My mother-in-law is amazed at how excited people are about the TV series. She says she's been telling people about the books for years. That fits in with what I've been reading about them. They built a following through word of mouth.

Having allowed myself to get sucked into the hype on social media and the Starz website, I decide it would be a good idea to try a couple recipes from the Outlander Kitchen blog to get into the spirit of things.

I tried the Claire's Spoon Bread recipe (above) and the Scotch Eggs recipe (below)
Neither recipe was very difficult, but I don't know that I'd bother making either again.

Now, in the case of the Spoon Bread, I might have messed it up. The recipe calls for putting the batter in a 9" pie plate or ramekins. As you see, I used my 8" square stoneware pan that I bought at the King Arthur Flour store.

Maybe the size and shape of my pan messed it up, but it came out awfully thin.
Another issue is the taste. Mine tastes a little fizzy and metallic. I think it has to to with the leavening agent is baking soda and lemon juice. Maybe I measured incorrectly or my baking soda is old, but it's just weird.
As for the Scotch Eggs, which I've always viewed suspiciously (if I'm being honest). The first one I ate on Sunday was very tasty, although I thought it could use some gravy. Actually, I only ate half of one, which might have been a good idea.
I tried another one today and it was just too strong a flavor. I don't know if it's cured in the fridge, or because I tried to reheat it in a frying pan, but I'm eying the remaining two with a little bit of reluctance.

Oh well, my recipe experiments weren't as transcendent as I'd hoped. But the night wasn't a total loss!

Show producer Ronald D Moore was live tweeting during the first showing of the premier episode!
Since I'd already watched, I was able to follow the conversation on Twitter.
I noticed he was also responding to questions....so I sent him one. And he responded!
I feel so special!
Looking back, my question might have been a little dumb, but then I guess maybe not since he answered. A lot of people favorited and retweeted his answer to me, so maybe I'm not the only one who wondered about it.
Someone else responded to me that it had to have been choreographed because it looked so effortless. That, of course, makes total sense.

Between Wendy Knits following my work Instagram account and Ronald D Moore responding to me on Twitter, I had a pretty rocking social media weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment