Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wish Me Luck

The State Fair starts tomorrow.
In a moment of insanity, I submitted two items for the needlework competition.
For the knitting category I submitted my Miss Kitty Top from the Louisa Harding Jesse book.
It's a real show-stopper and I'll be surprised if I don't get at least an honorable mention.
I finished knitting it in the spring and have enjoyed wearing it this summer.
When I first finished it the fit was a little snug, but the yarn has really softened up with washing and the fit is great now.

For the weaving category I submitted the scarf I wove during my first class using Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn.
It looks pretty good for a second weaving project, which the judges won't know. Really, the yarn is the selling point for this scarf.

I'm not sure why I decided to be brave and submit items to the fair. I've never done it, or thought about doing it, in the past.
Maybe it's because the fairgrounds are right here in town. I don't think I've ever lived so close to one before.
Another factor was the fiber people I know down here talking about it and encouraging everyone to submit stuff. They want to show off the "vibrant fiber arts community" in the area.
What the heck! Right?

Monday was the day to drop off items for the Needlework category. It was a foggy morning. The rides looked strange in the fog, but it was exciting to see the fair taking shape.
I received one free admission ticket because I'm an "exhibitor." I've told hubby we'll have to go on one if his days off.
When I was driving by the fairgrounds earlier this week (it is located near the grocery store) I saw a trailer that implied there would be pig races.
I want to see the "Fastest Swine Off the Line"!
We'll also need to eat fried food and vote for my items for the Fan Favorite.

The Fair ends Aug 16. I suppose that's when winners will be announced.


No comments:

Post a Comment